Epilepsy is one of the most common neurological conditions in the world, affecting approximately eight in 1,000 people in Europe, and an estimated 50 million people worldwide. Epilepsy is a chronic disorder of the brain that affects people of all ages. It is characterised by abnormal discharges of neuronal activity causing seizures. Seizures can vary in severity, from brief lapses of attention or jerking of muscles, to severe and prolonged convulsions. Depending on the seizure type, seizures may be limited to one part of the body, or may involve the whole body. Seizures can also vary in frequency from less than one per year, to several per day. Epilepsy has many possible causes but often the cause is unknown.
About Eisai EMEA in Epilepsy
Eisai is committed to the development and delivery of highly beneficial new treatments to help improve the lives of people with epilepsy. The development of AEDs is a major strategic area for Eisai in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Russia and Oceania (EMEA).
In the EMEA region, Eisai currently has four marketed treatments including:
- Fycompa(R) (perampanel) for use as an adjunctive treatment for partial
onset seizures, with or without secondarily generalised seizures, in patients with
epilepsy aged 12 years and older
- Inovelon(R) (rufinamide) for the adjunctive treatment of seizures associated
with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome in patients >4 years. (Rufinamide was originally
developed by Novartis)
- Zonegran(R) (zonisamide) as monotherapy in the treatment of partial seizures,
with or without secondary generalisation, in adults with newly diagnosed epilepsy and
as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial seizures, with or without
generalisation, in adults, adolescents and children aged six years and above.
(Zonegran is under license from the originator Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma).
- Zebinix(R) (eslicarbazepine acetate) as adjunctive therapy in adult patients
with partial onset seizures, with or without secondary generalisation. (Zebinix is
under license from BIAL).
About Eisai Co., Ltd.
Eisai Co., Ltd. is a leading global research and development-based pharmaceutical company headquartered in Japan. We define our corporate mission as "giving first thought to patients and their families and to increasing the benefits health care provides," which we call our human health care (hhc) philosophy. With over 10,000 employees working across our global network of R&D facilities, manufacturing sites and marketing subsidiaries, we strive to realise our hhc philosophy by delivering innovative products in multiple therapeutic areas with high unmet medical needs, including Oncology and Neurology.
As a global pharmaceutical company, our mission extends to patients around the world through our investment and participation in partnership-based initiatives to improve access to medicines in developing and emerging countries.
For more information about Eisai Co., Ltd., please visit http://www.eisai.com .
1. Haute Autorité de Santé. Commission de la Transparence: Zonegran. Updated December 2014
2. Meeraus WH, et al. Childhood epilepsy recorded in primary care in the UK. Arch Dis Child 2013;98:195-202
3. Sante Medecine. Épilepsie - Statistiques en France http://sante-medecine.commentcamarche.net/contents/731-epile... . Last accessed February 2015
4. Epilepsy Society. Medication for children. http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Treatment/Me.... Last accessed February 2015
5. Guerrini R. et al. A randomized, phase III trial of adjunctive zonisamide in pediatric patients with partial epilepsy. Epilepsia 2013: Aug;54(8):1473-80
6. Eisai Ltd 2013. Zonegran summary of product characteristics (last updated October 2013) https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/history/16240/SPC/Zonegran+...,+50,+100+mg+Hard+Capsules
7. Guerrini R, et al. Adjunctive zonisamide therapy in the long-term treatment of children with partial epilepsy: Results of an open-label extension of a phase III, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Epilepsia. 2014:55(4):568-578
8. Pugliatti M et al. Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: A review with economic modeling. Epilepsia 2007: 48(12) 2224-2233
Date of preparation: February 2015
Job code: Zonegran-UK2526
CONTACT: Media Enquiries, Eisai Europe Ltd, Cressida Robson/Ben Speller, 18 Feb. (0) - 7908-314-155/+44(0)7908-409416, Cressida_Robson@eisai.net,Ben_Speller@eisai.net ; Tonic Life Communications, Alex Davies/NicolaLilley, +44(0)207-798-9262 /+44-(0)207-798-9905, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com